Thread: Stop the madness: what we know for 3rd Q fundraising

Exclamation Stop the madness: what we know for 3rd Q fundraising

Ok, we're all excited, we all want to know how much we contributed--and how much was spent and how much we have compared to everyone else.

Since I'm posting a lot on this and getting PMs and emails and calls on it, let me spell out what we know in one place.

Dr. Paul raised $640k and spent $115k in the first quarter with no debt and $525k cash on hand (figures rounded). Cash minus debt put Dr. Paul sixth out of ten major Republican candidates.

In the second quarter, Dr. Paul raised $2.4 million, spent $540k, and had nearly $2.4 million cash on hand with no debt. Cash minus debt put Dr. Paul third out of ten major Republican candidates behind only Giuliani ($18.3 million) and Romney ($3.2 million) who raised about $5 million online.

In the third quarter, the Paul campaign put out an email that with the original online fundraising campaign they would have raised more than the second quarter: The letter even said "I assure you that we will surpass our total from last quarter. The question is by how much." So, $2.4 million plus what we raised over the half million goal at $700k, puts us safely at $3.1 million this quarter. Beyond that, everything is speculation.

Background: Kent told me personally on Saturday night just after we hit the million dollar mark that they had raised more than last quarter. Ok, we know that, I realize, I'm just trying to lay most everything out. I spoke with Jesse too who has a strategy to maximize the news and get the most bang for the buck--remember all of the MSM attention we got when Dr. Paul leaked some of the info to Stephanopolis?

FEC regulations require quite a bit of accounting and lawyering. Dr. Paul, unlike Romney and Giuliani (and until recently McCain), does not spend a lot of money on staff--he keeps his burn rate very, very low husbanding his resources for later in the campaign when we'll need them for ads, etc., to reach voters and win primaries. This is frustrating now, but a good strategy overall.

Money donated online is relatively easily tabulated. While we did wonders raising money online this past quarter (thanks to all of you!), Dr. Paul historically raises nearly all of his money via direct mail for his Congressional campaigns. I personally got at least three mail solicitations AFTER I maxed out last quarter from rented lists, presumably. Checks are sent to the Lake Jackson office in Texas that is not equiped to deal with operations on this scale. Those checks require a lot more effort to be processed.

Most of the workers at HQ do not have those numbers updated. Those that have combined, updated numbers do not talk casually, much less post such info on websites. Unless you hear it directly from Dr. Paul, Kent, Lew, Jesse, Fernando or Jonathan, accept that anyone else talking probably doesn't know. Don't believe anyone who says they heard from someone anything else. Tell anyone repeating such nonsense to stop hurting the campaign with baseless rumors.

My speculation based on my best knowledge of Dr. Paul and his campaigns: Dr. Paul will report no debt this quarter. Dr. Paul did not spend more than he raised last quarter. He did spend a lot more this past quarter (Ames, new office, more staff, more travel, more fundraisers, more direct mail, etc.) than the previous quarters. Ergo, Dr. Paul will have at least $3.1 million cash minus debt this quarter, probably more than McCain (and all of the second tier), and possibly more than Romney, doubtfully more than Thompson, and certainly less than Giuliani.

Romney: $10 million (with perhaps another $6 to $7 million of his own personal wealth).

Rudy Giuliani raised $9 million, NBC says.

Former Sen. Fred Thompson’s (R-Tenn.) campaign said he raised at least $8 million in the third quarter, not including the $3.5 million he raised in June. A campaign official did not know the breakdown between general and primary funds or how much cash on hand the ex-senator’s campaign has.

Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) campaign on Monday disputed press reports that the senator, who has struggled with fundraising and spending throughout the year, raised $5 million but had $2 million in debt. A McCain campaign official said the reports were inaccurate, and they would release numbers Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tancredo filed for $1.6 million in matching funds. Tancredo raised nearly $2.7 million in the first half.

Huckabee raises $1 million and is not considered a serious contender.

Democrats:

Hillary Clinton raised $27 million of which $22 million can be used in the primary.

Barack Obama raised at least $20 million between July 1 and Sept. 30 with at least $19 million of that dedicated to the primary campaign. Obama outraised Hillary in primary dollars — $74.9 million to $72.6 million.

John Edwards raised about $7 million. Edwards spent $9.8M over the first six months, and is estimated to have spent about $8M more this quarter.

Bill Richardson, in fourth place in most national polls of Democratic voters, raised about $5.2 million in the period, down from $7 million the previous quarter.

Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware raised $1.9 million.

Sen. Chris Dodd's campaign raised 1.5 million dollars in the third quarter of this fundraising cycle bringing the campaign's grand total to 14 million with $4 million cash on hand. The Senator had estimated that he would raise 2-3 million in the third quarter of this fundraising cycle but he's coming up short. That gives him $8.8 million for the year.
    Last edited by Bradley in DC; 10-03-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

bump
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Bradley my friend, here's what I know. I know there were 40,000 online donators. If what you are saying is true then the average online donation is only $25. Do you seriously believe that the average is that low? I don't. Unless they have people pay online at the fundraising dinners like someone else suggested, then your minimum total of $3.1 million is probably correct. Has anyone been to one of those dinners and how did you pay? This would help us speculate a little better. If Bradley is correct then there will be a lot of dissapointed people here, but don't give up! We have to keep moving forward regardless. I will do my best to boost morale around here like I usually do. Keep fighting!
    "Instead of the “end of history,” we are now experiencing the end of a vocal limited-government movement in our nation’s capital. While most conservatives no longer defend balanced budgets and reduced spending, most liberals have grown lazy in defending civil liberties and now are approving wars that we initiate. The so-called “third way” has arrived and, sadly, it has taken the worst of what the conservatives and liberals have to offer." -Ron Paul

Speculating is pointless, its like trying to guess what your christmas presents are.

If you are right, you don't get surprised.
    If you guess too much, you get disappointed.
    If you guess too low, you get depressed and then get a boost of excitement.

Why don't we not guess?
    "Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out."- Andrew Jackson (The Guy on the 20)

www.micahnelson.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul Fan View Post
    Bradley my friend, here's what I know. I know there were 40,000 online donators. If what you are saying is true then the average online donation is only $25. Do you seriously believe that the average is that low? I don't. Unless they have people pay online at the fundraising dinners like someone else suggested, then your minimum total of $3.1 million is probably correct. Has anyone been to one of those dinners and how did you pay? This would help us speculate a little better. If Bradley is correct then there will be a lot of dissapointed people here, but don't give up! We have to keep moving forward regardless. I will do my best to boost morale around here like I usually do. Keep fighting!
    Hi RPF, yes, it was at our DC Meetup fundraiser that we had people pay online from the sportsbar. I'm just spelling out what we know, so the likely minimum is $3.1 million. I put no limits on the upside possibilities! The 40k online contributors were just this quarter or all year? Any idea on average online donation amounts?
    digg.com/d315eji

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Quote Originally Posted by micahnelson View Post
    Speculating is pointless, its like trying to guess what your christmas presents are.

If you are right, you don't get surprised.
    If you guess too much, you get disappointed.
    If you guess too low, you get depressed and then get a boost of excitement.

Why don't we not guess?
    Pointless, but endlessly entertaining!
    Freedom from the government!
    Freedom from the boss!
    And freedom from everyone else!
    Check out Holistic Politics for more info.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley in DC View Post
    Hi RPF, yes, it was at our DC Meetup fundraiser that we had people pay online from the sportsbar. I'm just spelling out what we know, so the likely minimum is $3.1 million. I put no limits on the upside possibilities! The 40k online contributors were just this quarter or all year? Any idea on average online donation amounts?
    Average online donations are under $100.. like say $95

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The 40k online contributions were 3rd quarter only, based on confirmation numbers and dates posted on this forum.

40,000 online donations were for this quarter using the confirmation numbers. Someone here had a graph but I can't remember who.

--D

Ok, so 40k online contributions just in the third quarter. How much was the average donation?!
    digg.com/d315eji

Candidate Q1Q2
    Raised Spent Cash Debt Raised Spent Cash Debt
    Romney 23.4m 11.6m 11.9m 2.4m 14m 31.3m 12.1m 8.9m
    Giuliani 16.6m 5.7m 11.9m 89k 17.6 m 17 m 18m 0
    McCain 13m 8.4m 5m 1.8m 11.2 m ca. 11.2 m 1.9 m 1.8m
    Brownback 1.9m 1m 807k 0 1.4m 1.8m 460k 0
    Tancredo 1.3m 711k 575k 15k 1.4 m 1.5 m 598k 15 k
    Paul 640k 115k 525k 0 2.4 m 540k 2.4 m 0
    Huckabee 544k 170k 374k 53k 766k 703k 437k 31 k
    Hunter 539k 266k 273k 0 814k 874k 213k 0
    Last edited by Bradley in DC; 10-02-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    digg.com/d315eji

Hillary raises $27m

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298903,00.html

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign announced Tuesday that she raised $27 million from July through September, significantly outpacing chief rival Barack Obama.

The campaign boasted about the results in an e-mail to supporters that noted it was her best fundraising quarter yet. It's the first time she's dominated Obama, who raised $20 million in the same period and has given her an unexpectedly tight competition in the money race.

Clinton's total includes $22 million that she can spend on the primary race. She has to save the rest for the general election and will have to return it if she doesn't win the nomination.

Obama's total included $19 million for the primary, meaning in total this year he's still outraised her in primary dollars — $74.9 million to $72.6 million.
    digg.com/d315eji

Ok, so 40k online contributions just in the third quarter. How much was the average donation?!
    Someone calculated it during the final week and it was somewhere between $80-90. Say $85.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedasbach View Post
    Someone calculated it during the final week and it was somewhere between $80-90. Say $85.
    Steve, if that's right, then some back of the envelope calculations put the quarterly total at $4.2 million for the third quarter (all other things being equal).
    digg.com/d315eji

Lets say the campaign still has $1 Million on hand up til now plus at least $3 Million raised this Quarter, if we have a great 4th Quarter pulling in $10 Million......matching fungs would put us around $20 Million heading into Primary season, enough to compete with the big dogs, although I guess we can save the controversy for another thread.

Hillary and Obama are raising enormous amounts for the primaries. Perhaps its good they're spending so much to duke it out between each other.

Guliani's fundraising totals continue to drop, as do Romneys, and Thompson is not performing well.

Now that Gingrich has stated he won't be running for the presidency, that helps for sure.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Exclamation a little too much info

Be careful what you are posting, we already know that hackers tried to get into RP's site, to say the least I'm sure that this info will be leaked. I appreciate the info but I believe strategy must be kept to yourself. nough said.
    Theresa
    Suffolk County Long Island NY

RUN PAUL RUN!!!

This is truly torture - please release the numbers PLEASE!

Its torture but release it for an

exclusive tv interview or just wait. Maybe Snuffles will have him on again.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom_junkie View Post
    Be careful what you are posting, we already know that hackers tried to get into RP's site, to say the least I'm sure that this info will be leaked. I appreciate the info but I believe strategy must be kept to yourself. nough said.
    Hi Theresa,

Thanks, and I appreciate your concern. I thought of that as I wrote it and edited it. I'm pretty sure there's nothing here that isn't public record, common knowledge of tactics for people who've worked on campaigns like this or innocuous. I did not, for example, say anything about Jesse's strategy, only that the campaign has one--which seems to be working well.
    digg.com/d315eji

Quote Originally Posted by ghemminger View Post
    This is truly torture - please release the numbers PLEASE!
    George, I've released here not only all the numbers I do know, but my own speculation as well (low ball, at least). The goal here on releasing the numbers is not to satisfy our impatience but to propel the campaign forward. Look at how much media coverage we're getting already--and positive coverage at that.

If it helps, think of it this way: would you be willing to endure this "torture" if it helped get Dr. Paul get elected? We're all making sacrifices.
    digg.com/d315eji

I hope so Bradley - I will endure this UNBEARABLE torture for the good doctor and LIBERTY - AHHHHRRRGGGGG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ghemminger View Post
    I hope so Bradley - I will endure this UNBEARABLE torture for the good doctor and LIBERTY - AHHHHRRRGGGGG!!!!!
    For no more than two weeks more...
    digg.com/d315eji

I spammed a one-dollar bill to Ron Paul's campaign over 3.5 million times this last quarter. I also am responsible for his internet polls. Yep, I'm the guy.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron Paul collects $6 million this year and stuck in national polls at 5%
    October 3rd, 2007 by Peter
    In Sections: Politics, News
    http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/...al-polls-at-5/

We know that the presidential race is a costly one for both the Democrats and Republicans as many struggle to raise enough money to keep their presidential election race hopes alive. This is a different story for hopeful Ron Paul as he has managed to collect $6 million in this year alone, even though he is stuck at 5% of the votes.

When you look closely at these figures, Ron has raised over $3 million in this third quarter alone this is an increase on the second quarter where Paul only raised $2.4 million, but that is still a healthy sum of money when you think that Ron Paul only managed to raise $641,000 in the first quarter.
    digg.com/d315eji

Chester Copperpot

Ron Paul collects $6 million this year and stuck in national polls at 5%
    October 3rd, 2007 by Peter
    In Sections: Politics, News
    http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/...al-polls-at-5/

We know that the presidential race is a costly one for both the Democrats and Republicans as many struggle to raise enough money to keep their presidential election race hopes alive. This is a different story for hopeful Ron Paul as he has managed to collect $6 million in this year alone, even though he is stuck at 5% of the votes.

When you look closely at these figures, Ron has raised over $3 million in this third quarter alone this is an increase on the second quarter where Paul only raised $2.4 million, but that is still a healthy sum of money when you think that Ron Paul only managed to raise $641,000 in the first quarter.
    Hes up to 5% in national polls? I didnt know that,, anybody know which poll?