Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump wants one year jail sentence for flag burning

Trump wants one year jail sentence for flag burning

This seems pretty bad to me. Isn't this a whole new class of laws? Do we have any existing laws that makes generic criticism of the government illegal? I would think the next logical step would be to make it illegal to criticize the president.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...lags-protests/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    This seems pretty bad to me. Isn't this a whole new class of laws? Do we have any existing laws that makes generic criticism of the government illegal? I would think the next logical step would be to make it illegal to criticize the president.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...lags-protests/
    Hmmm....interesting. From the story there are several laws the protestors could be prosecuted under without having a specific flag burning law:

Protesters took down an American flag and replaced it with a Palestinian flag and at one point burned the U.S. flag before someone ran into the crowd and snatched it away.

Theft of federal property, disorderly conduct, and violation of the federal riot statute. And that would be true if these were right wing protests who stole a Palestinian flag and set it on fire in the middle of the street. But if somone buys a flag with his own money and sets it on fire on his own property, as long as he isn't violating and burning ordinance, that should be legal.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorLiberty View Post
    Does Trump wants to lose?
    I keep wondering that over and over.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This will resonate with a certain % of people.

As far as the protestors, some came off as agent provacateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Hmmm....interesting. From the story there are several laws the protestors could be prosecuted under without having a specific flag burning law:

Protesters took down an American flag and replaced it with a Palestinian flag and at one point burned the U.S. flag before someone ran into the crowd and snatched it away.

Theft of federal property, disorderly conduct, and violation of the federal riot statute. And that would be true if these were right wing protests who stole a Palestinian flag and set it on fire in the middle of the street. But if somone buys a flag with his own money and sets it on fire on his own property, as long as he isn't violating and burning ordinance, that should be legal.
    Exactly! Why aren't they arrested for damaging and defacing public property? This is so obviously what should be happening, I find it mind-boggling that nobody even brings it up!

Trump is being a chump with this stupid idea about arresting flag-burners. I seem to recall him suggesting this during his first term, too. Apparently he's still taking advice from morons.

Trump is not a libertarian. Imagine that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Trump is being a chump with this stupid idea about arresting flag-burners. I seem to recall him suggesting this during his first term, too. Apparently he's still taking advice from morons.
    I disagree.

Trump knows perfectly well that:
    (1) he isn't going to be able to do it (Presidents don't set prison terms for federal crimes - Congress does), and
    (2) if he (or Congress) tried, the courts would slap him down, toot sweet.

He's just throwing red meat to the part of his base that doesn't know any better.

They are the "chumps" here, not him.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-26-2024 at 02:45 PM. Reason: "knows knows" --> "knows"
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This is insulting to everyone who respects our constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I disagree.

Trump knows knows perfectly well that:
    (1) he isn't going to be able to do it (Presidents don't set prison terms for federal crimes - Congress does), and

He's just throwing red meat to the part of his base that doesn't know any better.

Well, miseducating the stupids with this "red meat", and labeling constitutionalists "stupid people", is bad all around. He should be trying to help those clueless republicans that don't know better, rather than encouraging everyone to be stupider.

I guess your point is that there are so many "stupids" out there, this can earn him a lot of votes, but to encourage such ignorance stikes me as sinful. Also, it's insulting to everyone who supports adhering to our constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    This will resonate with a certain % of people.

As far as the protestors, some came off as agent provacateurs.
    Well i saw two images of two likely provacateurs that were responble for the burning of the flag while they were at it.

They were caught smiling and on camera while pretending to be pro palestine..

I got my Sam Cooke on now, Guess wat song
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Well, miseducating the stupids with this "red meat", and labeling constitutionalists "stupid people", is bad all around. He should be trying to help those clueless republicans that don't know better, rather than encouraging everyone to be stupider.

I guess your point is that there are so many "stupids" out there, this can earn him a lot of votes, but to encourage such ignorance stikes me as sinful. Also, it's insulting to everyone who supports adhering to our constitution.
    I don't disagree with any of that.

But "miseducating" supporters and constituents is pretty much par for course for almost every politician out there.

The "chumps" (left or right, progressive or conservative) eat that $#@! up. (If they didn't, politicians wouldn't keep feeding it to them.)

Trump is nothing special in this regard.

(Ain't democracy grand?)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-26-2024 at 02:12 PM.

And I would add that the part of his base that does know better are apt to just gloss it over and shrug it off, because they know it won't go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorLiberty View Post
    Does Trump wants to lose?
    Maybe. Perhaps the idea that he’s a Democratic operative whose goal is to wreck the GOP so bad they won’t win elections anymore might not be far fetched after all.

I disagree.

Trump knows knows perfectly well that:

Exactly right.

This has already been adjudicated a hundred times, and the courts have routinely ruled that flag burning is 1st Amendment protected free speech.

Now, try burning a fagg flag and see what happens to you.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

If America is only an idea, then there is no need for masses of immigrants to come here since they can just create the idea in their own countries. - Random Thought from the Interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Exactly right.

This has already been adjudicated a hundred times, and the courts have routinely ruled that flag burning is 1st Amendment protected free speech.

What of it, comrade? Don't you hate hate?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What of it, comrade? Don't you hate hate?
    Of course comrade, I hate hate very much.

In fact, is it not time for the daily "Two Minute Hate" session?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

If America is only an idea, then there is no need for masses of immigrants to come here since they can just create the idea in their own countries. - Random Thought from the Interwebs.

Of course comrade, I hate hate very much.

In fact, is it not time for the daily "Two Minute Hate" session?
    It is never not time for a good "Two Minutes Hate".

How else to demonstrate our hatred of hatred?

We merely require subjects upon whom to practice such virtue ...

Right wing political correctness. The dumb SOB has obviously never read Texas v Johnson. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed...pinion-1958037
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Meh, if that was a proposed federal law, I would not fight for or against a specific law FOR THAT ACT ONLY. It's not an important issue to me, but I could live with a ban on it.

I disagree.

Trump knows perfectly well that:

That's pretty much his entire base.

"I love the poorly educated." - Donnie

Any way, SCOTUS already ruled it's a First Amendment freedom of speech right. Let's not go throwing the baby out with the bath water. Seems like every time a Republican wins the White House, the Constitution ends up taking more of a beating than when a Democrat wins. Strange how that works....
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Right wing political correctness. The dumb SOB has obviously never read Texas v Johnson. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed...pinion-1958037
    Lol , ya,I dont tink trump cares
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    That's pretty much his entire base.

"I love the poorly educated." - Donnie

Any way, SCOTUS already ruled it's a First Amendment freedom of speech right. Let's not go throwing the baby out with the bath water. Seems like every time a Republican wins the White House, the Constitution ends up taking more of a beating than when a Democrat wins. Strange how that works....
    SCOTUS just got rid of ROE v. Wade. It's not beyond the realm of possiblity they could reverse on this issue as well. But I can't imagine this is really a Trump priority. He tends to get off track at his little maga pep rallys and say things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Seems like every time a Republican wins the White House, the Constitution ends up taking more of a beating than when a Democrat wins. Strange how that works....
    Go sell that bilge water to the thousands of 6 Jan political prisoners.

Or to the millions that will find regulatory relief due to the overturning of "Chevron".

Or the hundreds of thousands that will now live due to "Roe" being overturned.

The GOP is no white horse, is no savior.

99 times out of a hundred, they will do the wrong thing.

On the rare occasion they do, it will likely be by accident or for the wrong reasons.

The Marxists, however, will never do the right thing, ever.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Exactly right.

https://x.com/LeadingReport/status/1816610609619705974

Meanwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Meh, if that was a proposed federal law, I would not fight for or against a specific law FOR THAT ACT ONLY. It's not an important issue to me, but I could live with a ban on it.
    "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance." -- Thomas Jefferson (apocryphal)

"Meh, whatever." -- 69360

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I heard trump just said you should get a year for flag burning. I want to hear the trumpsters spin that one.
    I could live with that. I don't see it as a pressing issue, I'm for freedom of speech and expression, but if that one particular act became illegal I don't see it as the end of the world.
    Then you are not, in fact, "for freedom of speech and expression".

But you are right about one thing: the "end of the world" - or at least, the end of whatever liberty we have left in the world - won't be due to "that one particular act".

Rather, it will be due to the combination of "that one particular act" with all the other "particular acts" to which you will no doubt also have few or no particular objections (because you "don't see it as a pressing issue", or whatever bland excuse) - until one day you find yourself wondering where the hell what was left of your freedom went. But by then, it will be much too late.

Take whatever side of the issue you want about it being protected speech, but it's not "criticizing the government", it's a statement of hatred for the country itself and its people.

It's a physical statement of "Death to America and it's people".

Any foreigner caught doing it should get instant deportation.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Take whatever side of the issue you want about it being protected speech, but it's not "criticizing the government", it's a statement of hatred for the country itself and its people.
    So, if someone does something for a reason you don't understand, that's never "crazy like a fox", that's always invalid just because you don't get it.

A centrist position, taken by pretty much everyone who is the center of his own little universe.

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance." -- Thomas Jefferson (apocryphal)

"Meh, whatever." -- 69360

But you are right about one thing: the "end of the world" - or at least, the end of whatever liberty we have left in the world - won't be due to "that one particular act".

Rather, it will be due to the combination of "that one particular act" with all the other "particular acts" to which you will no doubt also have few or no particular objections (because you "don't see it as a pressing issue", or whatever bland excuse) - until one day you find yourself wondering where the hell what was left of your freedom went. But by then, it will be much too late.
    Honestly, I'm not going to fall for your little trap. I don't give a $#@!.

Not everything is some slippery slope gray area that is going to steal your "freedoms"

Properly worded laws barring specific actions work.

I could live with that. I don't see it as a pressing issue, I'm for freedom of speech and expression, but if that one particular act became illegal I don't see it as the end of the world.
    Honestly, I'm not going to fall for your little trap. I don't give a $#@!.

Not everything is some slippery slope gray area that is going to steal your "freedoms"

Properly worded laws barring specific actions work.
    QED

Don't be coy.

Next time, just stick to saying you don't give a $#@!.

There's no need to waste anyone's time (yours or others') with all that "I'm for freedom of speech and expression" BS.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-27-2024 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast