Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: President Trump to Address Libertarian Party Concerns at National Convention May 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    He's not. I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested that he's an $#@! - at least, not for that reason....

I don't speak for others, but any mocking or wise-cracking I have done thus far (or am likely to do on this topic in the days to come) is a product of the intersection of two factors: the potent memeability of Donald J. Trump, and the at-least-as-potent memeability of libertarian "autism".
    Precisely! Come on, AF... You gotta find this at least a little amusing.

The MC takes over the LP. The LP invites Trump and Biden and Trump accepts. Have you ever watched a gathering of the LP?! This is gonna be like Barnum and Bailey speaking to your local carnies.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

The MC takes over the LP. The LP invites Trump and Biden and Trump accepts. Have you ever watched a gathering of the LP?! This is gonna be like Barnum and Bailey speaking to your local carnies.
    So the fat guy is going to strip naked again while Trump is on the stage? Or perhaps the one who is in favor of pedos will debate Trump on the pro and cons of kiddy diddling?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

Well, of course...everything in the Idiocracy has comic moments.

Here's hoping some seeds get planted I guess.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I suppose I'm one of the mocking wise-crackers you're referring to, but ...

"When [R]FK Jr. told the democrat establishment to go $#@! itself when he spoke at PorcFest last year in NH, everybody cheered."

I didn't cheer. If anything, I mildly catcalled by posting a couple of tweets critical of the "no guns" policy for his appearance.

"So why is Trump an $#@! for doing the same damn thing, essentially?"

He's not. I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested that he's an $#@! - at least, not for that reason.

If anything, it's just the opposite - over on Twitter, you can find plenty of people who think the LP are the $#@!s for inviting him.

I have even posted some of Dave Smith's defense of the invitation as an "undeniably great thing", for whatever that might be worth.

I don't speak for others, but any mocking or wise-cracking I have done thus far (or am likely to do on this topic in the days to come) is a product of the intersection of two factors: the potent memeability of Donald J. Trump, and the at-least-as-potent memeability of libertarian "autism". The superlative memeability of either of those things - not to mention the potential for their miscibility - is a quality with which RFK Jr. is not nearly as well-endowed, for better and/or worse. (I suspect this, rather than favoritism or bias, explains much of the relative dearth of wise-crackery with regard to him and PorcFest or the like.)
    LOL, fair enough.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Do better.
    Stop reading my posts through your odd lens.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    My personal analysis of the man is that this is probably how he made his fortune - taking actions that nobody else understands and then walking away with millions is pretty par for the course for billionaires..
    Except for the part where he inherited $413 million dollars between the ages of 3 and 58, and is not a dime richer than basic real estate inflation in that course of time. Then there's four corporate bankruptcies and the time he couldn't pay his bills so asked Wilbur Ross, who was working for Rothschild at the time, to bail him out. Yeah, he's a real genius.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Except for the part where he inherited $413 million dollars...
    You think that's not par for the course for wealthy people today? I think only one percent of the one percent are self made. All of the rest inherited it.

Oh, the rest like to pretend they earned it. Trump is certainly no exception to that. He is just like every other silver spoon brat, except for the degree of his narcissism.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-02-2024 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You think that's not par for the course for wealthy people today? I think only one percent of the one percent are self made. All of the rest inherited it.

Oh, the rest like to pretend they earned it. Trump is certainly no exception to that. He is just like every other silver spoon brat, except for the degree of his narcissism.
    It's virtually impossible to earn a large amount of wealth "by yourself". They either benefit vicariously by monetary depreciation (asset inflation), or they depend on others to work or consume for them. This is why we're not going to see change in our lifetimes through any political process. It's too entrenched, and the ideology is embraced by many of its own victims.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

I watched McArdle's video, and it's cool that she's trying, though I don't share her optimism.

I signed up and paid the $10 to be able to vote in the poll.

Turns out you can only pick one of 10 items, or Other. I was hoping to have a raft of choices from which I could select 10.

The current results show Other in the lead...!

I'm leaning toward voting to Get Rid of the Deep State, but that's just spitting in the wind. Didn't Trump say he was going to do that, along with locking Hillary up (didn't do that because it wasn't something he felt strongly about...!

I don't think this will get the media attention that McArdle says it will, aside from "Trump attended the Libertarian National Convention today. In other news, a cat was rescued from a tree by a brave non-binary immigrant who supports Palestinian Freedom..."

Still, I'll choose one, since I spent my money.

BTW, I saw the merch of which McArdle speaks, and the Donald Hair t-shirts make no sense to me.
    Last edited by buck000; 05-02-2024 at 08:36 AM.

Except for the part where he inherited $413 million dollars between the ages of 3 and 58, and is not a dime richer than basic real estate inflation in that course of time. Then there's four corporate bankruptcies and the time he couldn't pay his bills so asked Wilbur Ross, who was working for Rothschild at the time, to bail him out. Yeah, he's a real genius.
    If you take a lowball of his net worth, 4.7bn, then that means you're saying real estate has increased over 1000 fold in the last 50 years.
    That's ignoring that the Trump Organization has a revenue of at least 400 million annually.
    It's also ignoring the fact that the bigger your purse the harder the feds come for it, so you at least have to work on it not getting picked apart.
    Even if you're right, and all he did was hold on to what he was given, then that's still something that requires more effort than you're crediting him for, and a type of effort neither of us understands.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's virtually impossible to earn a large amount of wealth "by yourself". They either benefit vicariously by monetary depreciation (asset inflation), or they depend on others to work or consume for them. This is why we're not going to see change in our lifetimes through any political process. It's too entrenched, and the ideology is embraced by many of its own victims.
    Yes. That is part of what I was saying. DJT is hardwired to use other people for his own purposes. It's essentially sociopathy.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

If you take a lowball of his net worth, 4.7bn, then that means you're saying real estate has increased over 1000 fold in the last 50 years.
    413 million x 10 is 4.13 billion. Much real estate has gone up much more than 10x.
    Passing off losses to investors and using Chapter 11 to fund your lifestyle is nothing to be proud of.

413 million x 10 is 4.13 billion. Much real estate has gone up much more than 10x.
    Passing off losses to investors and using Chapter 11 to fund your lifestyle is nothing to be proud of.
    Yeah we're talking past each other. I agree, it's nothing to be proud of.
    By saying that, you're agreeing that it is what is. It's all legal, it's all above board, and it's how he at least maintains his wealth, irrespective whether he gained any more.
    What I'm trying to get across is that this is the wavelength his brain is on. He doesn't give a $#@! about liberty, he doesn't give a $#@! about the Republican party, he doesn't give a $#@! about any of the things SS talks about here.
    He's doing his own thing. He's figured out how to do that and still have the people working for his companies to essentially like him - he knows how to spend the minimum amount of time and money scratching their backs in order to get his agenda progressed.
    He blew that up into a nationwide scam and it worked.

I can't see any other reason for him to go to the LP convention. Mark my words: he's going to say things like "ok I agree with you on that point and I'm very in favor of that". He's not going to repeat anything back to anyone. All he's going to do is give the same hollow assurances that have gotten him this far in life.
    A large number of people are going to believe him, and he's going to walk away with votes.

I can't see any other reason for him to go to the LP convention. Mark my words: he's going to say things like "ok I agree with you on that point and I'm very in favor of that". He's not going to repeat anything back to anyone. All he's going to do is give the same hollow assurances that have gotten him this far in life.
    A large number of people are going to believe him, and he's going to walk away with votes.
    The only difference between this, and the way he tweeted things in favor of nearly every side of nearly every issue in 2016, is that we're important enough to him to warrant a personal appearance this time.

Somehow, though, I can't shake the feeling that he's not coming hat-in-hand. He plans to discredit libertarians some way or another. I'm not kidding when I say it wouldn't surprise me to hear the word "losertarian" before he's through. We've certainly seen enough evidence of how his fanbois think of us.

I don't think he feels he needs our numbers, but something about the influence we exert is demanding his personal attention.

I think he's trying to stage a Daniel in the Lion's Den moment to try to give himself the appearance of alphaness again.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-02-2024 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buck000 View Post
    BTW, I saw the merch of which McArdle speaks, and the Donald Hair t-shirts make no sense to me.
    If this isn't one of them, it should be:

https://twitter.com/RealSpikeCohen/s...24739501523120

Yeah we're talking past each other. I agree, it's nothing to be proud of.
    By saying that, you're agreeing that it is what is. It's all legal, it's all above board, and it's how he at least maintains his wealth, irrespective whether he gained any more.
    What I'm trying to get across is that this is the wavelength his brain is on. He doesn't give a $#@! about liberty, he doesn't give a $#@! about the Republican party, he doesn't give a $#@! about any of the things SS talks about here.
    He's doing his own thing. He's figured out how to do that and still have the people working for his companies to essentially like him - he knows how to spend the minimum amount of time and money scratching their backs in order to get his agenda progressed.
    He blew that up into a nationwide scam and it worked.

Yup. He's going because he wants every .005% he can get.

Yup. He's going because he wants every .005% he can get.
    We're eight years into this guy's involvement in national politics, and you still think he thinks like you.
    He doesn't think like you.
    There is some other reason for him going.
    Either you're wrong about that number, or there's something else.

Note that I never said he was going to get votes from convention attendees.

We're eight years into this guy's involvement in national politics, and you still think he thinks like you.
    That's the problem. People can't wrap their minds around sociopathy. Oh, on some level they realize that narcissistic personality disorder exists. But they don't get it. And this leads to chutzpah. They look at a homeless schizophrenic and decide they can spot these other insane mentalities just as easily.

The fact that they can't understand sociopaths is to their credit. But that particular bit of chutzpah has led to the spectacular failure of representative government.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is some other reason for him going.
    Either you're wrong about that number, or there's something else.

Note that I never said he was going to get votes from convention attendees.
    He's so worried about every smidgen that he'd rather see Biden win than RFK Jr., because he thinks RFK Jr. is going to hurt him on the vax.
    I stand my my contention. Libertarians are not going to vote for the Democrat. Trump is there to get .003% if he can. Swing states may come down to that.
    If you think he's going for a reason unconnected to getting votes, tell us what it is....

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    So now you have a problem with people growing wealth and accumulating wealth and then passing it on to their children?

And I have an "odd lens"...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So now you have a problem with people growing wealth and accumulating wealth and then passing it on to their children?

And I have an "odd lens"...
    I wasn't talking about Fred. I was talking about his narcissistic brat. If you thought otherwise, yes, your lens sucks.

Alrite now , were is list of libertarian party concerns and autor ?
    Do something Danke

Seems like Trump is only doing this so he can try and gather a decent amount of libertarians to vote for him.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Alrite now , were is list of libertarian party concerns and autor ?
    As of 2345 CT:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NbD...w?usp=drivesdk

Clear difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Clear difference between the two.

Cherry picked bunk, deliberately leaving out all the important differences..
    And that Trump list is filled with stuff that isn't true or leaves out important details of the difference.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Cherry picked bunk, deliberately leaving out all the important differences..
    You think they're important. I don't care what icing $#@!cake has on it.

Trump Heads To The Libertarian Convention | Part Of The Problem 1120
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLrfGidakk
    {Dave Smith | 05 May 2024}

On this episode of Part Of The Problem, Dave and Robbie talk about Donald Trump's booking at the Libertarian National Convention, what they want to see from it, and some advice for the audience and Donald Trump himself.

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-06-2024 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added header matter
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Apparently they're going to have somebody who's vying for the nomination on stage with him, having something between a debate and a discussion. I'd much rather see Michael Rectenwald do that than that guy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast