Thread: Open Carry or Exposed Carry?

Open Carry or Exposed Carry?

Open Carry or Exposed Carry?

By John Farnam

AmmoLand.com

April 21, 2016

Originally published by AmmoLand.com.

Ft Collins, CO – The State of TX has recently authorized “open” (exposed) carry guns within the state.

Lots of details yet to be worked out, but the legislation has gone through. AZ and some other states have technically permitted the practice for some time. And, even in states where there is no specific legislation, the practice is commonly noted in some areas.

My advice to students is not to carry openly. When open carry becomes common, even expected, I may join in. Until then, I’ll leave the practice to those far more in need of fame and recognition than me!

To me, it is similar to wearing a T-shirt proclaiming your particular political party. Why do you think everyone who sees you needs to know that? How does that benefit you?

My personal philosophy of appearing in public revolves around always projecting a low profile.

I don’t think it is in my best interests for me to inadvertently, nor intentionally, broadcast important information about myself, information that is no one else’s business!

So, I discretely carry concealed. I am always heavily armed, to be sure, but you can’t tell by looking, nor do I talk about guns, politics, travel plans, et al with people I don’t know. Precious few people have a legitimate need to know any of that!

I do my best to be courteous, polite, and pleasant with everyone, but never chatty with people I don’t know.

I don’t want to appear “interesting” nor “beauteous” while in public. I just quietly go my way and conduct my business without fanfare. I believe that philosophy adequately represents my best interests.

Be a “stand-out” when you are so inclined. Just be prepared to garner far more “attention” than you ever wanted!

Reprinted with permission from AmmoLand.com.

Copyright © 2016 AmmoLand.com

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/04/...t-low-profile/

Copyright © 2016 by LewRockwell.com. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are provided.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In the early days of our country, it was illegal to carry concealed. The public perception was that only criminals wish to hide or conceal their weapons. Today, its the exact opposite.

I think this change in perception reflects how guns are viewed socially, but also indicates how most are more comfortable with ramming their heads in the sand vs dealing with situations.

Having said that, I think concealment does offer some strategic/tactical advantages (I carry concealed), but some might rightly argue that it introduces some disadvantages too. IMO, open carry is a right regardless, and should be permitted while not infringing on individual property rights.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Concealed or open, it doesn't matter to me. Just buy a damn gun, practice and carry. Period. The one time you may need it, and not have it, might be the last.

I still much prefer the low public profile of concealed carry. <shrug> Perhaps I'd feel differently, if I were still suffering from testosterone poisoning.

Got my permit to carry a few days ago... finally! I've read and thought about all the arguments and I'm mostly inclined to carry concealed. Pretty much just to avoid attention and/ or panicked 911 "man with a gun" type calls. Figure I'll start easy with a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster and eventually graduate to my G30.

As an aside, does anyone here have experience with a Canik tp9? I've been kinda eyeing one for a couple years but not bit on it, yet. Never owned a 9mm and only rarely fired them but that one looks pretty slick.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.as...nik+TP9+Series
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

The wearing of daishō was limited to the samurai class after the sword hunt of Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1588, and became a symbol or badge of their rank.[10] Daishō may have become popular around the end of the Muromachi period (1336 to 1573)[11] as several early examples date from the late sixteenth century.[12] An edict in 1629 defining the duties of a samurai required the wearing of a daishō when on official duty.[13] During the Meiji period an edict was passed in 1871 abolishing the requirement of the wearing of daishō by samurai, and in 1876 the wearing of swords in public by most of Japan's population was banned; this ended the use of the daishō as the symbol of the samurai, and the samurai class was abolished soon after the sword ban.[14][15][16]

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Be a “stand-out” when you are so inclined.
    If common again,, a sidearm would not "Stand Out"..

Those who appeared unarmed might,,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I think any way is fine .If I was expecting trouble I just sling the rifle and carry the shotgun. One of my personal favorites is an old LeMat revolver .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I still much prefer the low public profile of concealed carry. <shrug> Perhaps I'd feel differently, if I were still suffering from testosterone poisoning.
    My advice to students is not to carry openly. When open carry becomes common, even expected, I may join in. Until then, I’ll leave the practice to those far more in need of fame and recognition than me!
    It won't, unless the minority of us start now.

If everybody else can display their "life choices" openly and without fear of recrimination, public shaming or arrest, then why can't I?

We're of a same age, I'm not out to beat my chest, and the very last thing I want is a cop around me, but I carry openly when I can...if only to prove that point and make it more common and acceptable.

I open carried in Virginia daily.

It is legal here in NH, but once I moved up here I got my conceal carry.

Mostly because I'm opening a business in a really liberal area.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

If everybody else can display their "life choices" openly and without fear of recrimination, public shaming or arrest, then why can't I?

We're of a same age, I'm not out to beat my chest, and the very last thing I want is a cop around me, but I carry openly when I can...if only to prove that point and make it more common and acceptable.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

The only way perception is changed is by presenrtng a perception that is different than is considered "normal."

Listen, open carry, for all that the 2nd and state laws profess, is the biggest pain in the ass that one can choose to do. Might as well handcuff a ball and chain to your gonads. For all the "freedom" the 2nd purports, your gonna have to tuck your gun like Jenner tucks his junk. When you go in a bank. In a fast food restaurant. The post office. Within 5 miles of a public school.

It's $#@!ing bull$#@!. I open carry and conceal carry a back up. I obviously have to be a bitch WRT open. As far as concealed. I have no license for that. What's the point when there is so many restrictions on it?

Open carry is probably better. Otherwise if you're concealed carry (and/or not carrying) a cop might think you're pulling a weapon when you adjust your waistband.

Safety first.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Open carry is probably better. Otherwise if you're concealed carry (and/or not carrying) a cop might think you're pulling a weapon when you adjust your waistband.

Safety first.
    Best just not to carry at all. There is already enough stress on those that are here to protect us. Why make things confusing for them?
    If someone besides them have guns..bad guy. It's not hard to understand.

I have a concelaed carry permit, but open carry.

I don't want to be a surprise for someone wishing violence, but rather a deterrant to the act.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Lightning strikes many more trees than grass.

A low profile most usually pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post

Ft Collins, CO – The State of TX has recently authorized “open” (exposed) carry guns within the state.
    Of handguns? If so, this is great news. About time that state pulled out of its backward position on the issue.

Lots of details yet to be worked out

This is the worrisome bit. I wonder what brands of idiocy might they add in the form of restrictions beyond having to respect the private property rights of the likes of business owners, and so forth.

Not necessarily good advice, not to mention based on a coward's premise, "when open carry becomes common..." How else does it become commonplace?

To me, it is similar to wearing a T-shirt proclaiming your particular political party. Why do you think everyone who sees you needs to know that? How does that benefit you?
    Talk about failed analogy... sheesh. Could there be a time past where openly carrying could have been deemed more important than doing so today? It's not about attenion per sé, but about the message that free men are free to arm themselves peaceably. This message needs to be normalized in a big way. The nervous nellies need to be trained to be less so, especially in the presence of those bearing arms.
    My personal philosophy of appearing in public revolves around always projecting a low profile.
    Formula-oriented mindset. There are certainly times when concealment constitutes the wiser choice, but not always. That is why we were given brains and the opportunities to use them as more than fancy hat racks. How about we start using them?

I don’t think it is in my best interests for me to inadvertently, nor intentionally, broadcast important information about myself, information that is no one else’s business!
    And yet perhaps at times it is.

So, I discretely carry concealed. I am always heavily armed, to be sure, but you can’t tell by looking, nor do I talk about guns, politics, travel plans, et al with people I don’t know. Precious few people have a legitimate need to know any of that!

The more he writes, the more a coward he seems. This is not to say he is 100% incorrect, but only that he takes it too far. With the exception of one time, everyone who has ever mentioned my sidearm has thanked me or given the big-grin thumbs-up. I did once have an angry father go off on me at the McDonald's in Hinton, WV. I smiled, covered my revolver, and he went away.

OK, belay that - there was one other time, also at that McDonald's - a guy from New Zealand asked whether I'd shot anyone that day. I was leaving and he was entering. I ignored him, smiling. No sense in engaging with a phag from New Zealand who had probably already wetted himself.

I do my best to be courteous, polite, and pleasant with everyone, but never chatty with people I don’t know.
    And I, believe it or not, tend to be very gregarious - happy to talk with anyone who doesn't give me a bad vibe. Unlike this apparent joker, I trust my base instinct for knowing who poses a threat. Threat assessment is a really important skill to develop and learn to trust. Mr. Joker here apparently has yet to achieve that goal.

I don’t want to appear “interesting” nor “beauteous” while in public. I just quietly go my way and conduct my business without fanfare. I believe that philosophy adequately represents my best interests.
    Whatever floats your boat.

Be a “stand-out” when you are so inclined. Just be prepared to garner far more “attention” than you ever wanted!
    It can happen, but rarely does. I would add that the manner in which you comport yourself has as much to do with "attention" as anything else. It's not just about the visible presence of a firearm. I go everywhere openly armed, save in deep winter when a coat conceals the weapon. People occasionally remark, almost all positively. Nobody has ever freaked out or tried to take the weapon or go running to police.

Honestly, I think this guy's opinions stumble along the tattered edges of validity. Just my worthless opinion on the matter. It just seems he is a fear-driven personality, choosing as he does because he is afraid. Again, that has it's place under circumstances, but I do not see it as a way of proceeding that is reflective of a healthy world view. At least not in America. I cannot speak for other places.
    Last edited by osan; 05-12-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    The wearing of daishō was limited to the samurai class after the sword hunt of Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1588, and became a symbol or badge of their rank.[10] Daishō may have become popular around the end of the Muromachi period (1336 to 1573)[11] as several early examples date from the late sixteenth century.[12] An edict in 1629 defining the duties of a samurai required the wearing of a daishō when on official duty.[13] During the Meiji period an edict was passed in 1871 abolishing the requirement of the wearing of daishō by samurai, and in 1876 the wearing of swords in public by most of Japan's population was banned; this ended the use of the daishō as the symbol of the samurai, and the samurai class was abolished soon after the sword ban.[14][15][16]
    There was a guy in Seattle... cannot recall his name at the moment, who used to walk around town in full array, even with O-yoroi (full battle armor), and his daisho.

He got some hassle from the cops at first, but once they realized he posed no threat, they left him alone. Dunno if he's still doing it.

Not sure how the Charleston cops would react. As cops go, they are pretty cool... but they are still cops. Those in places like NYC and Manalapan NJ would just shoot first, forget about the questions, plant evidence, and walk.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Hear hear.

Are bright orange dust covers (that also keep insects out of the barrel)
    helpful in protecting/saving lives in these confusing times that we live in?

The soft orange material must be thin enough as to not interfere with
    potential subsonic deflagration if the kill switch needs to be activated,
    but the rest of the time this multi-purpose function might keep everyone
    safer.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Are bright orange dust covers (that also keep insects out of the barrel)
    helpful in protecting/saving lives in these confusing times that we live in?

The soft orange material must be thin enough as to not interfere with
    potential subsonic deflagration if the kill switch needs to be activated,
    but the rest of the time this multi-purpose function might keep everyone
    safer.
    Or maybe you could just carry an air gun with a bright orange barrel cap on the end. (They're actually much cheaper too.)