PDA

View Full Version : DING DING - Round 2 Begins

ronpaulhawaii
05-06-2010, 01:53 AM
http://www.daily-times.com/ci_15028198

GOP chairman resigns to help campaigns
By Steve Lynn The Daily Times
Posted: 05/06/2010 12:00:00 AM MDT

FARMINGTON — San Juan County GOP board members could meet tonight to replace county party chairman Rod Montoya, who resigned to support candidates ahead of the primary.

Montoya resigned his county post and second vice chair position with the state Republican Party during the weekend because he wanted to support and oppose various candidates. Party rules barred him from siding with candidates before the primary.

"I am unable to stand by any longer as Adam Kokesh, candidate for Congress in the 3rd Congressional District, continues to mislead Republican voters," Montoya wrote in a resignation letter to the state party. He provided the letter to The Daily Times.

Montoya opposes Kokesh's Iraq War protesting and pointed to a YouTube video where Kokesh is shown waving a banner saying, "You can't win an occupation" and "McCain votes against vets" when Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., spoke at the Republican National Convention.

Montoya added that he was concerned that Kokesh supported abortion, gay marriage and legal prostitution.

Kokesh, a Marine who served in Iraq, acknowledged he opposed the Iraq War but said he never misled anyone about his belief that the conflict was unconstitutional. He opposes abortion and believes "marriage is a sacred institution that the government should have nothing to do with." States should decide whether to allow prostitution, he said.

Kokesh said Montoya's comments showed that the Republican "establishment" does not support his campaign. "I think we've seen that voters here who think that the country is on the wrong track and that the GOP leadership is out of touch are the ones that are getting behind my campaign," Kokesh said.

Montoya plans to back San Juan County Republican candidate Tom Mullins, Kokesh's opponent in the primary. Montoya said he also would support Republican gubernatorial candidate Susana Martinez, and he wants to continue to expand participation of Hispanic people in the Republican Party.

"I want to make it clear that I am not going to work for any one candidate, but I plan on informing the voters of specific candidate misrepresentations," Montoya wrote. "I am going to personally support several candidates that I believe in."
Bloomfield Mayor Scott Eckstein, county GOP first vice chairman, said he tried to persuade Montoya to remain chairman until the primary took place.

"This decision he made is something he wants to do," Eckstein said. "I support him in that and we'll carry on." Eckstein declined to name the candidate being considered to lead the county party, but added that he had political experience.
"It's certainly something we need to take seriously and get somebody in there just as quick as possible," he said.

Montoya said he served as chairman for more than three years. He succeeded Stewart Logan.

Janel Causey, spokeswoman for the New Mexico Republican Party, said, "It's Rod's personal conviction that he would be best positioned to help Republican chances in November by getting more involved in individual campaigns. He couldn't do this in his current capacity as the party's second vice chair and chair of the San Juan
County party."

Steve Lynn: slynn@daily-times.com

Here is a pic of Rod with his McCain hat

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3CMt7Ddj6uo/SO1-2pW7HBI/AAAAAAAACOA/jk_Dwat25H0/s640/387.JPG

He is an oily politihack and I look forward to increasing the pressure. He has been one of the primary party rule breakers, which is an open secret that is further alienating the base. Classically, this newspaper has been hard for us to get Kokesh's name in and we have a debate up there in a couple weeks...

Onward!

runningdiz
05-06-2010, 06:06 AM
"marriage is a sacred institution that the government should have nothing to do with."

OMG I love that line!! I think I am going to use that from now on! Such an excellent way of phrasing it.

muzzled dogg
05-06-2010, 06:31 AM
lol nice

specsaregood
05-06-2010, 07:23 AM
I am unable to stand by any longer as **********, candidate for Congress in the 3rd Congressional District, continues to mislead Republican voters," Montoya wrote in a resignation letter to the state party.

Montoya added that he was concerned that ******** supported abortion, gay marriage and legal prostitution

Talk about hypocrisy.

eqcitizen
05-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Hopefully the New Mexico GOP will realize that its only hope for a congressional seat in that district is with Kokesh!

specsaregood
05-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Hopefully the New Mexico GOP will realize that its only hope for a congressional seat in that district is with Kokesh!

Correction: hopefully they would actually prefer a constitutional conservative in that seat than a big govt democrat.

K466
05-06-2010, 12:15 PM
If only he understood that his republicans have nothing to do with limited government!

ronpaulhawaii
05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Terrel is a local political reporter

http://roundhouseroundup.blogspot.com/2010/05/gop-official-resigns-bashing-kokesh.html

Does Montoya think Kokesh has a good chance of defeating Tom Mullins in the primary? Is he saying that candidates who go against the grain of party orthodoxy shouldn't even be allowed to run?