PDA

View Full Version : Improving your mood

silverlinkx2
12-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Seeing how things get worse by the day and a lot of people were in a dire situation before the economy started collapsing, I'm wondering what you guys would do/recommend to help an individual improve his/her mood. Are there certain foods you eat, supplements you take, activities you partake in that can help you feel more happy, more energized?

The One
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey hey hey.....smoke weed everyday.

silverlinkx2
12-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I said IMPROVE your mood

The One
12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I said IMPROVE your mood

See post #2. :confused:

BuddyRey
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Seeing how things get worse by the day and a lot of people were in a dire situation before the economy started collapsing, I'm wondering what you guys would do/recommend to help an individual improve his/her mood. Are there certain foods you eat, supplements you take, activities you partake in that can help you feel more happy, more energized?

I was feeling kind of down and depressed last night, and I put on some amazing black gospel music that really picked me up. Christian music isn't usually my thing, but I absolutely loved this. If you're interested, go to songza.com and search for Dorothy Love Coates!

silverlinkx2
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Haha not an option for me job/career wise. Besides a couple people I know say it depresses them when they come down so I don't know how that helps...

Crowish
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
I have a painful chronic degenerative illness & pain can rewire your brain. This helps with mood issues:

SAM-e http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-adenosyl_methionine
Omega 3 fatty acids
Getting good sleep
Exercise
I meditate

Agent CSL
12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
There are tons of ways to improve mood! Weed is one of them, but if he doesn't want to go the way of substances/drugs (other than food - don't argue that weed is food.)

- Exercise
- Charity
- Meditation
- Cut out all major sources of caffeine from the diet. Tea can have caffeine but it's not a major source. I'm talking about toxic sodas, caffeine boosters or energy drinks.
- Try to cut back on processed foods. Artificial preservatives and HFCS cause too many problems to be considered food.
- Drink organic herbal teas
- Buy organic produce from a local farm or local store. Eat said local, organic produce.
- Take a hot bath or shower
- Engage in volunteer work (See:charity)
- Sleep well
- Get a massage
- Take the dog for a walk, or play with him.
- Take the kids for a walk, or play with them.
- Take your spouse/*friend for a walk, or play with them.
- Start on a project that you believe you can finished, like a puzzle or short story. Push yourself to finish it. DON'T start a project that you believe you cannot finish within a reasonable amount of time.
- Listen to upbeat music
- Get over yourself and stop making excuses for why you can't do all of the above.

dannno
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
don't argue that weed is food.

I am going to anyway :p

Hempseed is the most nutritional food on the planet, but it doesn't contain THC. So I recommend some hempseed cereal with hemp milk for breakfast.

The flowers of more potent cannabis, however, are a great way to put you in a good mood :)

So what is the best way to eat the flowers?

Well, we have a thread going on about how to cure and prevent Alzheimer's and other neurological disorders, and it says to use coconut oil.

We have another thread going on about how Cannabis helps with Alzheimer's and other neurological disorders.

Chocolate makes you feel good.

So, putting all this together, the ultimate tool against fighting neurological disorders, and the ultimate mood enhancer is a weed brownie made using coconut oil. I guarantee, the best tasting weed brownies in the world are made with coconut oil. I know because I have had them. All you need is a crock pot, some coconut oil, some herb and a brownie recipe. Put the coconut oil and the cannabis flowers (ground) into the crock pot and simmer on low heat for 1-3 hours. Strain the oil, and use in place of butter in your brownie recipe.

Yum.

Kotin
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I am going to anyway :p

So, putting all this together, the ultimate tool against fighting neurological disorders, and the ultimate mood enhancer is a weed brownie made using coconut oil. I guarantee, the best tasting weed brownies in the world are made with coconut oil. I know because I have had them. All you need is a crock pot, some coconut oil, some herb and a brownie recipe. Put the coconut oil and the cannabis flowers (ground) into the crock pot and simmer on low heat for 1-3 hours. Strain the oil, and use in place of butter in your brownie recipe.

Yum.

there is no need to simmer for that long.. 30-40 minutes will do fine.

youngbuck
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Make sure you have plenty of Omega 3s in your diet. You'll also want a vitamin D. A good supplement to get both of these is Cod Liver Oil.

A better way to go about it is to just supplement Omega 3s (while reducing Omega 6s) and get plenty of sunshine for your vitamin D.

And as already mentioned, get good sleep.

dannno
12-19-2008, 06:19 PM
there is no need to simmer for that long.. 30-40 minutes will do fine.

Do you strain?

zach
12-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Take a walk and listen to some nice, uplifting trance music.

Oceanlab. :)

Kotin
12-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Do you strain?

yes.

is that why you simmer for so long? so you dont have to strain?

Agent CSL
12-21-2008, 03:28 AM
I've never had weed, guys. Stop rubbing it in.

Birdlady
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I find that magnesium in a powder form is relaxing. Specifically I like Natural Calm. Other than that, vitamin D and sun light is great. If you live in cruddy climate like me, you might want to look into tanning 1 or twice a week for 5 minutes at a time.

DamianTV
12-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Vitamin B complex and Vit D (best from direct sunlight, about 15 minutes per day), and have more sex.

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Hey hey hey.....smoke weed everyday.

+420 :cool:

H Roark
12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Hmmm I wouldn't recommend weed for improving your mood to just anybody. If I smoke a strong sativa, I'll just become paranoid and over analyze things way too much making my mood even worse. However if you get your hands on a good indica strain, it can be very relaxing.

Besides the other suggestions here, has anybody tried St. John's Wort for improving your mood?

M House
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Infrequently smoking weed is probably gonna be relaxing and somewhat stimulating at the same time. Daily smoking is gonna be different. Some people might tolerate it...your body will likely desensitize itself to those systems after alot of heavy use. In this situation it will be more of a depressant. Most perscription antidepressants are weak and kinda suck so you don't actually get much benefit from what's typically perscribed. Exception is MAOAs, MAOBs and TCAs and these have the side effects that potentially include death. St. John's Wort should be fine for mood, but it's primarily a serotonin type effect. Serotonin though for awhile was thought and taught to be a primary effector of mood it's probably alot more secondary. To brighten your mood you want adrenal stimulation.
1. Exercise
2. Sex
3. Some Drugs not SSRIs
4. Other activities anything non stressful but stimulating

Firegirl
12-22-2008, 03:53 PM
I've only been severely depressed once in my life. And the one thing that made a HUGE difference was walking. I started walking at lunch and my afternoon breaks. Made a world of difference. Doesn't have to be a fast walk or long one, but it really helped me start thinking clearly again.

You just have to force yourself to get off or arse and go....

tonesforjonesbones
12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I pray or listen to my Bible study cd's. tones

lucius
12-22-2008, 03:59 PM
yes.

I wish I had you two for neighbors. :)

Kludge
12-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Stop hoping and expecting. Once you do that, you can enjoy and find humor in everything.

The One
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I wish I had you two for neighbors. :)

I LOL'd.

lucius
12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I've only been severely depressed once in my life. And the one thing that made a HUGE difference was walking. I started walking at lunch and my afternoon breaks. Made a world of difference. Doesn't have to be a fast walk or long one, but it really helped me start thinking clearly again.

You just have to force yourself to get off or arse and go....

I agree, just get moving. Writing affirmations is powerful and overall journaling is good. I have kept a journal for almost 30 years.

Matt Collins
12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Due to my job I've been hanging out with a bunch of happy-go-lucky drama majors and professional actors. They are a bit blissful, but a lot of fun to be around. And it's interesting because since I have been hanging around here and my fellow RP supporters after hanging around the drama troupe I noticed how depressing everything really was. In other words keeping up with current events, getting involved locally, and conversing with fellow RP supporters REALLY TAKES A TOLL on one's emotional heath. I've become more of a pessimist than I realized in the last couple of years.

dannno
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
yes.

Nah, if I didn't strain then I probably wouldn't simmer very long cause the thc will be activated during the baking process, and you'd just be trying to get everything spread out... maybe soften it up a little more too :confused:

I think the time you spend simmering should depend somewhat on the quality of the cannabis. Increasing the simmering time increases the amount of thc and whatnots that is absorbed into the oil. I'm sure 30-40 minutes gets the job done pretty well, but I think doing it longer extracts more 'medicine' into the oil. If you're using really high grade, expensive cannabis then you want to make sure to extract as much as possible cause you're paying for that high potency.

steve005
12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
in this order=
1. eat
2. smoke week
3. sleep
4. sex
5. play with family

Grimnir Wotansvolk
12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Fill your diet with whole foods.

Follow Michael Pollan's advice:

if you can't pronounce an ingredient, don't eat it
if it doesn't rot, don't eat it
if it has more chemicals than food, don't eat it

Fruits, veggies, and nuts. Not frozen or canned, but fresh.

Acala
12-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Regular meditation practice will do more to permanently raise your baseline level of happiness than anything else I know. There are many different kinds and different teachers. Try to find a meditation group in your area because it is motivational to meditate with others - less likely to blow it off - and you can get someone to teach you some techniques.

If you can't find instruction locally, here is a good book - "Mindfulness in Plain English"